by Vidyadhar Prabhudesai on Monday, March 11, 2013
- Session type
- Lightning Talk
- Technical level
a. 75 million young people around world cant find a job b. But even employers cant find qualified people to fill for jobs c. Over 2/3rd of employers around world have little or no interaction with educators d. Are young people prepared for a job 70% of educators say yes However, less than 50% of young people and employers agree e. There are three parallel universe - educators, young people and employers f. 40% of employers agree that right skills is main driver for getting an entry level job g. Young people have 3 times more likely to be out of job compared to their parents because of lack of skills h. Only half of young people agree that their current education has improved their chance of finding a job
This means educators are locked out of employers and employers are locked out of educators. The world need for new forms of collaboration.
I bring expertise in addressing the problem of youth empowerment, skill deficiency and gap between demand and supply of labour. I have two models to demonstrate how we do this.
First model is "Leadership Village" which we have implemented in Waynad, Kerala most least developed region of the state where it lacks education, access to education, lack of facilities etc. Here we engage youth and school children and encourage, empower them to lead them in life. We implemented innovative education models such as Stand UP and Speak Out, Story circles, Living libraries, set up first book library with more than 2K books, Mobile library etc. We engage students to celebrate international events such as "Global Dignity day", teach them lessons in democracy through "The Peace Gong" movement etc.
Second model is "Global Shapers" is focused on creating defining moments for the youth. All our programs are offered free of cost to the students. These programs are intense and enable youth to face their defining moments - moments that are life changing and career defining. It complements the theoretical knowledge offered by the educational institutions, broadening perspectives, opening new avenues, and giving students a unique edge in the market place. Through Global Shapers we are trying to building a bridge - between educators and employers trough programs like CEO shadowing, Corporate immersion, - Youth summit, Fellowships etc. The program has been implemented in Karnataka and in less than 6 months time more than 10,000 opportunities has already been created and we are currently creating close to 300 opportunities every month currently. A paper written by me on the same, got attention of IFC (World Bank group) and published in December 2012. The Council on Global Agenda (WEF body) of Youth Unemployment has listed this model among top 10 models for skill development among youth. Recently, Karnataka Govt included this program in the state budget 2013-14 for development of skill among 10,000 youth across state
~ Dip. in Global Leadership (T-bird, 2012), MBA (Aegis, 2008), M Com (University of Mumbai, 2005) ~ email@example.com ~ +91.77.3804.3885
Summary of Work
Co-founder and Managing Trustee of LeadCap Trust, a non-profit organization, working towards building India as nation of leaders. LeadCap works with millions of youth across India, strives to empower a million of these ambitious individuals, that they could realize their true potential.
Co-founder and General Manager at LeadCap Ventures, one of the leading management consulting companies in India with offices in Middle East, Africa and USA. LeadCap Ventures engages with Governments from various nations in Africa and Asia, institutions like UN, World Bank, ADB and Fortune 500 corporations like Microsoft, Intel, Unilever and Coca Cola.
Co-founder and Head of Business Development at Cygnus IT Solutions responsible to define company's strategy and drive sales and operations. The company is known for its app “EduPlay” which is smart learning and assessment tool. Under his leadership Cygnus received nomination at Aegis Graham Bell Awards for two consecutive years 2011 and 2012.
Previously worked as Senior Analyst with Hewlett Packard where he generated savings worth US$ 5.0 Million+ by identifying specific instances, patterns and underlying causes of grey market activity for high margin products and instituting audit recovery practice.
Other companies worked for includes Reliance Globalcomm and Coca Cola.
Established world’s first “Leadership Village” in Waynad district of Kerala in 2009 along with partner Anne Frank Research. This model received “Vidabhasya Ratna Puraskar” in 2012 for innovation in the field of education. This model is currently been looked by Kerala State Government as part of “The New Education Policy, 2013”
Instrumental in driving Global shapers Forum’s ambitious projects for creating opportunities for youth since 2012. More than 10,000 opportunities have already been created for youth in Karnataka in less than 6 months. This model also Ranked # 2 model for addressing youth employability by The Council on Global Agenda for Youth Unemployment in 2012. Going forward the model would be replicated in Maharashtra and other states of India.
Honors, Awards, Recognitions
- Listed among 2000 intellectuals of the 21st Century by International Biographical Centre, 2013
- Nominated for Samata Sahitya Academi Award 2013
- Listed in the Who's Who in the World in the year 2012
- Recipient of Shangharsh Award by Sangharsh Trust Thane 2012
- Prize winner at Youth Unemployment Challenge by IFC and WEF 2012
- Recognition from Karhade Brahmin Sangh, Mumbai as “Outstanding Young Achiever” 2012
- Nominee for “Young Entrepreneur” Award by Saturday Global Trust. Maharashtra 2012
- Global Shaper at World Economic Forum 2011
- Delegate at TED-INK 2011
- Nominee for Young Researcher Award by ESOMAR 2011
- Delegate at One Young World, 2010
- Yatri at Jagriti Yatra, 2008
- Top 100, Lead India Mumbai round, 2008
- Featured in Sakal Thane Today on 23rd Feb 2013 for recognized among top 2000 global intellectuals
- Featured on Front Page Maharashtra Times 16th Nov 2011 on Global Shaper recognition
- Featured in Indian Express, Hindu, Dainik Jagran and Financial Express on 19th April 2012 and Maharashtra Times on 20th April 2012 for Youth Job Challenge
- Featured in Times Thane Plus 1st July 2012 for Sangarsh Sanman
- Featured in “The Entrepreneur Year Book 2012” by Silicon India
- Regularly write for newspaper majors like Economic Times, Times Ascent, Mumbai Mirror and Global Jobs
- Published research articles in newspapers like Bangalore Mirror, Bangalore Times, Times of India, Vijay Karnataka, Sambad, Deccan Herald and magazine Consumer Research Frontier and Banking Frontier between 2011-12
- Published article on “Youth Unemployment” in regional annual magazine “Smaranika 2012” by Karhade Brahmin Sangha